Development of a karate-ka (karate student) is more than just development of techniques. Progression through each grade also requires the correct etiquette and demonstration of respect for themselves and others.
A good karate-ka always conducts themselves in a well disciplined way and shows respect for others and their surroundings. There is a code of conduct for the dojo that you should follow – we call this Dojo Etiquette. Follow the simple rules below and you will be well on your way to becoming a respected and respectful karate-ka.
- SHOW THAT YOU TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR KARATE THROUGH YOUR APPEARANCE. ARRIVE AT CLASS CLEAN AND IN A CLEAN GI. ENSURE YOUR TOE NAILS ARE SHORT. GIRLS WITH LONG NAILS MUST WEAR FINGERED GLOVES WHEN SPARRING.
- ALWAYS BOW WHEN ENTERING OR LEAVING THE DOJO
- BOW TO SENSEI WHEN YOU GO UP TO SPEAK TO HER/HIM
- FOLLOW SENSEI’S INSTRUCTIONS AND NEVER SPEAK WHEN SENSEI IS SPEAKING
- GET IN PLACE QUICKLY AND STAND QUIETLY IN HEIKO-DACHI WHEN ASKED TO LINE UP
- NEVER EAT FOOD OR SWEETS DURING CLASS
- NEVER TALK IN LINE OR MESS AROUND WITH OTHER STUDENTS – YOU ARE DISRUPTING THEIR LEARNING AS WELL AS YOUR OWN
- BEHAVE SENSIBLY IN THE DOJO – KEEP HANDS AND FEET TO YOURSELF
- HIGHER BELTS SHOULD ALWAYS SET A GOOD EXAMPLE OF BEHAVIOUR TO LOWER GRADES
- ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BRING THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT TO EVERY CLASS – YELLOW BELTS AND OVER THIS INCLUDES KUMITE MITTS AND PADS
- BULLYING IS NOT TOLERATED AT HIDDEN DRAGON KARATE-DO – SEE THE CLUB POLICY FOR SANCTIONS OF BULLYIN